Publications

Contact Us

Walsenburg history for Feb 25, 2010

Walsenburg

1889: W.C. Hunt published the first issue of the Walsenburg World Thursday, March 1.

1896: The World newspaper’s reporter visited the Walsen mine but was turned back in the east workings by smoke left from the constant firing.  The exhaust fans are on at all times.

1906: Water pipes are being laid about the courthouse and irrigators will be installed to water the fine lawn that will be planted this spring.

1915: A $1,000 reward will be paid for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the murderer of William Dick on the road to La Veta four miles west of Walsenburg on Feb. 13. J.B. Farr, Sheriff.

1925: The new organist and organ at the Rialto Theater will perform for the first time Saturday when Tom Mix appears in the film “Teeth”.

1934: Harry Oblander and Harry Myers’s M&O Garage is now the agency to sell and service Oldsmobile automobiles.

1940: Alfalfa again will be the main crop with about 12,000 acres to be planted this year on Huerfano County’s 800 farms.

1946: Shoe supplies still are very low so get yours repaired by Jack and Frank Fink’s Quality Shoe Shop, 114 W. Seventh.

1951: Employment figures remained stable in February, with 1,600 employed in Walsenburg and 2,228 in the county.

1956: A Toy Loan Library will be this year’s new Future Homemakers of America community service project for the children of Walsenburg.

1963: Coach Larry Crosson and the team of Phil Valdez, Bob Pierotti, Al Owens, Lewis Edmundson, Richard Tenorio, Tom Quintana, Anthony Ruiz, Don Tenorio and Paul Nickens won the Southern Peaks Class “A” basketball championship.

1971: Mrs. Archie (Katherine) Levy Sr. was elected chairman of the Republican Central Committee, the first woman to serve in this position in Huerfano County.

1977: Fashion Shoe Mart will have its grand opening Saturday under new owners Richard and Mary Lou Abila.

1985: Lavelle’s Ladies Wear and The Brandin’ Iron are holding their eighth anniversary sales at the north end of Walsen Avenue.