1900: It is reported that a “Peeping Tom” is around town scaring women and children by looking into windows after dark. A good dose of lead will stop such proceedings.
1906: It is reported Pelegrino Galassini and Tony Ariano have bought the Foote property on Ryus Avenue and will open up a saloon.
1912: The flour mill is running every day between four o’clock and midnight; it now sounds like old times.
1918: The Doctors S.J. and J.M. Lamme have given over a part of their Main Street office and operating rooms for a hospital for the many Spanish Influenza sufferers.
1924: John Abercrombie of the lower Cucharas has set up a sawmill on the George Young place on the Wahatoya. There are now four sawmills in the vicinity of town.
1929: Don’t do any outside window cleaning or yard straightening up until after next week because it’s Halloween time.
1934: Mr. and Mrs. Mark Anderson, the former Hazel Dick, are now located in the northwest apartment of Minnie Adamson’s building on west Francisco Street.
1942: A farewell party for Pete Smalley will be held Sunday afternoon at Sleepy Hollow with Albert Galli and His Orchestra providing the music. Pete is off to war.
1949: Gail Ritter, a student at Colorado Woman’s College in Denver, was recently initiated into Beta Phi Gamma, a national honorary “jurnalist” [sic] fraternity.
1954: Otto Leander Drum of the US Navy finished as top student in Interior Communications School in San Diego.
1961: William Springer, 94, died in New Jersey. He had a blacksmith shop on Main back in 1870s where the drugstore is now.
1966: Irene Duzenack was the only student in the ninth grade to receive all A’s the past six weeks at La Veta High School.
1971: Mrs. Marilyn Schwarz, formerly of Colorado Springs, is the new Huerfano County extension home agent and will live in La Veta with her children Bob, 16, Angela, 15, Holly, 12 and Brian, 10.
1977: The four stores in the La Veta Mall will offer sales next weekend in honor of the mall’s first anniversary – Homestead Antiques, Spanish Peaks Snowmobiles and Sporting Goods, Jean’s Hairstyling and Dee’s Boutique.
1904: The famous baritone Mr. Theo Allen will sing the latest and up-to-date illustrated songs in Mazzone’s Opera House tonight.
1911: J.R. McKeean is desirous of selling his boardinghouse of 22 rooms at Cameron.
1917: While Sheriff Neelley and his undersheriff were out chasing rustlers, someone stole their valuable farm horses.
1923: McAnally and Channell of Trinidad will open a furniture store in the building recently occupied by Klein’s cafeteria.
1928: Colorado and Southern railway is erecting a 50,000 gallon steel water tank at the railroad crossing on Russell Street.
1933: Died, Alex Levy, a pioneer of Walsenburg who served as county and town treasurer, town councilman and businessman. Born in Vienna in 1849, he married Lillie Sporleder in 1880 and they were parents of six children, including sons Ralph, Archie and Walter of this city.
1940: A final total of 9,198 registered voters was announced today by Damacio Vigil, Huerfano County Clerk and Recorder.
1946: Seven Walsenburg youth are currently attending Colorado State College of Education, Norma Lou Brunelli, Jack Johnson, Ralph Levy, Robert Levy, Nancy McFie, Ann Wukovich and Arthur J. Zanon.
1952: A total of 16,885 turkeys were shipped out in the first run at the processing plant here, grossing an estimated $70,900. Most were raised by Charles Corsentino.
1957: Al Barbacovi won the free trip for two to Paris, France, in the regional contest of sales for Studebaker and Packard cars.
1962: Austin Murr celebrated his ninth birthday Saturday with a football party refereed by his older brother Peter Charles.
1968: Some 35 couples enjoyed an early Halloween masquerade party and roast beef dinner Saturday night at the Elks Lodge, with prizes for best costumes going to Coleen Magnone, James Conder, Eva Balich, Doris Fink and Julian Bocim.
1973: Luncheon specials are served from noon to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Silver Moon Inn at 823 Main Street.
1979: Uptown Bakery, closed the past year, will have a grand opening Nov. 2 under the new ownership of Bill and Judy Bricking.
1984: Navajo Ranch now has 45 permanent households and 21 summer homes.