1903: An unusual sight was seen Saturday when a wild deer came down from the mountains, bounded over fences and made for the trees and brush in what used to be known as the Colonel’s Park on Oak Street.
1909: The La Veta Flour Mill will be open Mondays and Saturdays during the summer commencing May 1. Peter Verliff, owner.
1915: The Columbine Billiard Hall is fixing up a bowling alley for the recreation of the patrons of the soft drink establishment.
1922: Mr. Kincaid was paid $400 by the town for a right of way for the sewer line.
1927: The Texaco Company will put in a filling station at the northeast corner of Ryus and Oak streets which will be operated by Owen Williams and Clyde Brooks.
1934: The senior play, “Miss Adventure”, may be seen May 4 and 5 in the high school auditorium and will be followed Saturday evening by Waltz Night in Kincaid Hall.
1940: Despite miserable weather Saturday, 25 L Club members and their guests took a hayride to Sulphur Springs but the snow was falling heavily so they returned to the school house and cooked in the kitchen.
1946: A farewell covered dish dinner was held at the Methodist Church for Mr. and Mrs. Allen Roush and their daughter Joeann who are moving to Denver.
1953: John Geiser is operating the Geiser Feed Store in the Baione building next to the Park Lane Hotel on Ryus Avenue.
1959: Seniors on the honor roll are Loren Albright, Margaret Clair, Evelyn Harryman, Marian Huffman and Richard Pezze.
1965: Julie Ann Tracy and Joyce Goemmer were winners in the auto driving safety contest held in Walsenburg last Saturday.
1972: La Veta High School’s 42-member band gave a concert in Primero High School followed by another at Rice Junior High School in Trinidad.
1979: Jeff Geiser, head football coach at John Mall High School the past three years and son of John and Mildred Geiser of La Veta, is moving to Grand Junction to take the position of head coach there.
1986: Dick and Coral Anderson bought out the stock of the former West Peak Mountaineering and will open Adobe Arch Trading Post which will also have gift items.
1902: The old J.B. Hudson ranch and flouring mill near Gardner was purchased by Joseph Murray and Graves Benson. The price paid was $11,750.
1908: The LOK baseball nine went up to La Veta Sunday for a slugfest and came away on the losing end of a 37-27 score.
1916: The Hungarian people of Cameron celebrated Easter Monday with a dance in the school house in the evening, as well as games and music in the club house.
1923: Eleven horses and two burros were taken up this week by the police and installed in the city pound.
1930: A professional player from the Pueblo County Club laid out a new golf course on Capitol Hill 600 yards longer than the old one and later six new holes will be added along with new hazards.
1936: St. Mary High School senior class will present “Spooky Tavern” with six male and five female players. Featured cast members will be Herbert Furphy, Rose Miskiel and Sally Salazar.
1941: Colorado Fuel and Iron Company’s Robinson No. 4 mine received a certificate for its safety record, having gone from 1936 until now with no fatal accidents. Average employment is 175, resulting in a 1940 production total of 763,974 tons.
1947: The all modern Reviglio Barbacovi Motor Company at 2nd and Main streets will have its grand opening this Saturday.
1952: 1951 4-door Sedan, radio, air conditioning, overdrive, reclining front seats, 25-30 miles per gallon, $1,695. William J. Neeman Pontiac Company, 320 South Main, Walsenburg. Phone 200.
1957: The new stop light at the corner of 7th and Main streets is being installed today and Mayor Donald D. Haney asks citizens to always obey its signals.
1964: Walsenburg’s Knights of Columbus team won the state KC bowling tournament held in Canon City Saturday, besting 30 other teams. Members are Wally Padia, captain, Joseph Falsetto, Willie Malovich, Joe Kruitz and George Zanon.
1970: Thirteen Washington School students picked up 75 gunny sacks full of cans and trash from behind the Walsenburg power plant on Earth Day.
1977: Rose Chambers will retire May 1 as pharmacist at Fawks Drug Store after 40 years of employment.