Publications

Contact Us

This week in History for July 30, 2015

Walsenburg 1882: Two miners who had been carousing in the saloon opposite the depot were found the next morning torn to pieces by the northbound passenger train. 1891: One of the heaviest rains ever seen in this country washed away all the machinery and the trestle at the Rouse mine and carried the boilers two miles down the gulch. 1897: The doctors D.W. and R.A. Mathews went up the Cucharas fishing Monday. Dr. R.A. is a cousin of our county clerk and is thinking of locating here to practice medicine. 1903: One woman was slightly injured Saturday morning when the Colorado and Southern passenger train collided head on with a freight train. 1909: The Consolidated Tennis Club was organized and will play on the court at the residence of Charles Hayden. 1915: Las Animas and Huerfano counties are building an automobile road from La Veta to Trinidad between the Spanish Peaks and Culebra Range and when completed this will be a delightful jaunt. 1922: Some union men were attacked by rangers at the Sandoval pool hall in Sunnyside, who accused them of being agitators. 1928: The Mosco Brothers will construct a new auto garage at the corner of Tenth and Main streets and call it The Motor Hub. 1933: Judge A.C. Hollenbeck will hear the suits of the county office holders and clerks against the county commissioners for reducing salaries. 1939: Walsenburg police officers today received some new equipment, consisting of handcuffs, tear gas shells and black jacks. 1945: Representatives from the Huerfano County Chamber of Commerce met with the Trinidad chamber members at Miramont lodge at Monument Lake to discuss the cattle industry, federal housing and water for the eastern slope. 1951: Wage scales and the cost of living have increased proportionately in Walsenburg in the past 11 years. For example, an auto mechanic earned $25 to $35 in 1940 and $45 to $65 in 1951; a full basket of food cost $10 in 1940 and $23.75 today. 1957: A swimming meet, aqua ballet and a selection of an “aqua queen” will take place at the new municipal pool Aug. 20, a Tuesday. 1963: Walsenburg’s third annual Quarter Horse Show last Sunday drew a record 136 entries from a six state

area. 1969: Jean Rancoilta, registered nurse, retired Army major and nurse anesthetist, is the new director of nursing at Huerfano Memorial Hospital. 1975: Steve, the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Batuello of Walsenburg, met Bronco football players Randy Gradishar and Jon Keyworth while attending a football camp at the University of Southern Colorado in Pueblo. 1981: Leona Vezzani won the grand champion title in the annual Huerfano 4-H Fashion Revue Friday and Wendy Vigil was reserve champion. 1987: Some 9,000 Huerfano County property owners are receiving their notices of valuation today and tomorrow, which show increases of from 30 to 58 percent to bring properties to the 1985 level of actual valuation.

La Veta 1878: Not since May 15 has a quorum been achieved and a meeting of the Town Board held. 1883: J.B. Jones and William Batton came from Kansas a few weeks ago and are prospecting a promising lead on Silver Mountain. 1889: W.J. Hill, proprietor of the Alamo Hotel, has had the building re-roofed and it offers a pleasing appearance to those arriving by rail. 1895: J.W. Culler has leased the “green front” building on Francisco Street and has opened a tonsorial parlor but will still make and serve ice cream on Sunday afternoons. 1901: At the end of the term in School District No. 9, La Veta, enrollment was 118; in No. 7, Sager, 32; in No. 15, Upper Wahatoya, 35; in No. 16, Lower Wahatoya (Ritter), 44; and No. 21, Upper Cucharas, 23. 1907: Dr. Mayes and his wife arrived from Texas and have joined his brother G.A. Mayes at his new mountain resort on the Upper Cucharas. 1913: All of the cabins at Cuchara Camps are now rented for the month of August. 1919: Mrs. Henry Daigre has leased her stone home for one year and will build a 24 by 28 foot frame residence on the opposite side of Field Street. 1925: The town water is being piped to the public camp ground. Holy Mackerel! What will the visitors think? It’s perfectly all right to connect the grounds up, but for heavens sake don’t turn on the water there until it’s deodorized. 1931: Mrs. Belle Lee has given up operation of her hotel in Francisco Plaza and returned to her home in San Luis. 1937: A wildflower excursion has been scheduled for Sunday, Aug. 15 by the Denver and Rio Grande Western to the top of La Veta Pass. About 600 made the trip last year. 1943: The Colorado Cheese factory is to reopen sometime in September after the repair of equipment and remodeling of the premises. 1949: Vern Bristol bought the residential property of Albert Weir at the corner of Francisco and Oak streets and will rearrange the place into a first class motor court. 1955: The first three holes of the new La Veta golf course opened for play July 26. 1961: Tyrus D. Escalante, Frederick D. Sanchez and John B. Viola were inducted into the Army this week in Denver. 1967: Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Voiles of Perryton, Tex., are occupying their new home, the former Blocker house on Highway 111 at The Gap. 1973: Charlie Tuggle is building a new home on East Francisco Street. 1979: Don and Elaine Chapman have purchased the Garry Mayfield ranch on the Wahatoya and will move their Heritage Candle factory there. 1985: In the 10-team volleyball tournament that transferred to the La Veta school gym when it was rained out at Cuchara Valley Resort, the award for casualty of the day went to Nancy Sudderth who broke her ankle within five minutes of the start of the first game. 1991: Larry Gatlin of the singing Gatlin Brothers was an overnight guest in the Cuchara Chalet last week.