1902: The unsightly porches on the old Levy property on the east side of Main, including the Lukowitz bakery, John Thill’s confectionery and the office of Dr. T.D. Baird, have been removed.
1911: A government official of the good roads movement had a great deal of trouble fording the Huerfano River because of the quicksand and drove all the way east to the new Colorado and Southern tracks where planks were laid and the crossing was achieved in an hour and a half.
1919: The Supreme Court has ruled that Walsenburg is a city of the second class because the 1910 census showed a population of more than 2,300, and it should have been reorganized at that time.
1925: The state released the statistics on 1924 coal production, showing Las Animas County was the highest producer wirh 3,157,988 tons, Huerfano as second with 2,005,223 and Weld, third, with 1,651,506.
1932: A mammoth parade, to suit all the kiddies, will be the opening salute to the St. Mary Spring Carnival March 31. Paul Krier is in charge of the event this year.
1939: Neil R. Bailey, 21, prominent young businessman, escaped with only minor injuries when a freight train struck his delivery truck at the Fifth Street crossing.
1945: Students of Washington School collected a total of 3,960 pounds of tin cans for the war effort in a weeklong contest.
1951: The senior class at Huerfano County High School chose as their motto, “Today We Launch, Where Do We Anchor?”
1956: An estimated 1,600 people attended the Lions Club sixth annual Dixieland Minstrel Show’s two performances presented in the Fox Theater, co-produced by Floyd Murr and Malcolm MacDonald.
1963: Lenzini Petroleum Company will build a new Conoco service station west of their garage at the far end of 7th Street.
1969: Sixteen of the buffalo at Lathrop State Park have been shipped to Sterling.
1976: City Council raised electric rates by an average of 32 percent effective April 1, from $2.50 to $3.30 for residential usage for up to 20 kilowatts per month.
1987: Development Plus Chairman Nick Faris says the new visitor center at Highways 12 and 160 is nearly complete.