Contact Us

Walsenburg History for February 11, 2010


1903: Of the 28 enrolled in the high school, those neither absent nor tardy included Freda Mazzone, Maurice Cowing, Isabelle Mazzone, Janet Chatin, Karl Sporleder and Carolyn Jones.

1911: Charles Hunter and Charlie Mitchell were fined $8 each for beating up a habitué of Hunter Bar soliciting free drinks.

1917: City Council ordered that ALL houses must be numbered and ALL property owners must build sidewalks.

1923: Paul Wayt and Norman Kastner purchased the Rex Theater from J.J. Sarah and Mr. Yoeman, who operated it the past two years.

1928: The building of a new balcony for ready-to-wear and millinery and the removal of offices to the front of the building are the new features of the rearranged J.C. Penney store.

1933: Due to the hard times, Trinidad Electric is voluntarily reducing its rates by  about ten percent.

1939: Miners not making as much as $78 per month in the mines will be eligible for unemployment benefits.

1945: The old brick portion of the Klein Hotel on the east, containing the bus station, is being painted to match the newer section.

1951: While the Southern Colorado Livestock Association were meeting Saturday, their wives organized an auxiliary of the organization called the Cowbelles.

1959: A group to promote better television reception in Walsenburg was organized Wednesday during a meeting of civic club representatives.

1965: Gail Marie Spock, senior at St. Mary High School, will be a princess for the annual Trinidad State Junior College basketball tournament next week.

1971: Walsenburg High School was awarded permanent possession of the Santa Fe League Pep Club Traveling Trophy after having won it for four years in a row.

1978: Janie’s Café, formerly Dick’s Cafe on Highway 160 west of Walsenburg, is now offering both American and Mexican foods, according to manager Jane Sanchez.

1984: Avocados, 6 for $1, Parkay Margarine, 69¢ lb, Ellis Tamales, 69¢ for 15 oz. can, Black & White Grocery, 601 Main.