Publications

Contact Us

Walsenburg history for April 1, 2010

Walsenburg

1898: The observance of April Fool’s Day can be traced through every country of Europe back to the Hindoos [sic].

1905: La Opinion Publica, the new Spanish weekly, made its appearance last Saturday and is a bright newsy little publication.

1914: Mother Jones is incommunicado in the basement of the county court house where she is incarcerated for the duration of the present miners’ strike.

1923: Fred Lara has organized a 21-piece city band.

1930: Prof. J.W. Yost, superintendent of the Huerfano County High School, was appointed to the National Education Association’s Committee on Enrichment of Adult Life for the Colored.

1937: Huerfano County has been designated one of those included in the “Dust Bowl”.

1945: Running on the Citizens ticket in next week’s city election are Joe Mosco Jr. for mayor, Jack Evans, clerk, George J. Habib, treasurer and, for aldermen, Arthur R. Benine and Clifford C. Herbert, Ward I, Toby Martinez and Francis O’Rourke, Ward II, Joseph J. Stimack and Valentine T. Supancic, Ward III and Joe Habib and Al Vallejos, Ward IV.

1952: Soap Sale: including Super Suds, Ivory Snow Flakes, Fab, Duz, Rinso and Vel, 24¢ each for large packages. Kay’s Grocery and Market, 338 West 7th Street.

1958: Benefit dinner for St. Mary Quarterback Club- fried chicken, spaghetti with sauce, vegetables, rolls, coffee and dessert, $1.50 adults, 75¢ children under 12.

1964: The 1,150 acre ranch of J. Saul Maes and Arthur C. Maes northeast of Gardner has been sold to Robert L. Hudson of Pampa, Texas for approximately $54,000.

1969: Some 170 people attended the third annual Agri-Business Awards banquet Saturday night where Duncan Major was named Rancher of the Year.

1974: Mr. and Mrs. Joe Feiccabrino won a 10-day all expenses paid trip to Portugal by his being a top area salesman for Zenith.

1979: Pinon Hills Insurance Agency at 106 E. 6th, will have a grand opening April 2 according to owner Jeanette Wilson.

1985: The new Radio Shack at Seventh and Main will have its grand opening Saturday, April 6.