1892: Day and Muir now have Japanese goods for sale at their cigar store in the post office.
1898: Max Lucero bought the $200 hack belonging to Burkhardt and Company of Trinidad and will open a hack line to Maitland.
1904: The Walsenburg Yucca has been sold to W.C. Hunt and consolidated with the Walsenburg World. Victor Jackson ran the former paper for two years and four months.
1910: A Crazy Tea and Social will be given by the Methodist ladies at the home of Mrs. Davidson next door to the Armory Oct. 27.
1916: The Commercial Club had its first annual banquet in the Elks Hall with the main course being fresh ducks supplied by the local Nimrods.
1922: A new city band has been organized under the direction of Professor Andrews with 15 members.
1928: Former Walsenburg youth Albert Medina is winning fame as the director of the orchestra at the Hotel Marion in Little Rock, Arkansas.
1934: The Drought Relief Livestock Purchasing Program has bought 8,429 sheep in Huerfano County for a total of $16,892.
1940: The pet parade scheduled as the first event of the St. Mary Fair today drew 75 children.
1946: More than 2,000 Huerfano County school children got out of classes today at noon as teachers prepared to attend a two day conference.
1952: Huerfano County High School now has a cafeteria where a hot lunch is served every day under the director of Mrs. Roy Sportsman and Mrs. Tresso Romero. About 60 students eat there every day.
1959: Mr. and Mrs. William Schmidt have sold their 3,500 acre ranch on Pass Creek near Gardner to Mr. and Mrs. William Houchin of Midland, Texas. It includes the original home of William’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Karl Schmidt, natives of Germany who came to Huerfano County about 1881. Mrs. Schmidt is the former Stella Gallegos whose daughter Bernice is now Mrs. Tom Sharp.
1965: George Allison has purchased the insurance agency of Mrs. Blanche Anderson who has operated it about one year since her husband C. Albert Anderson became ill. C.A. had it for 25 years previously.
1971: The 130-piece Walsenburg High School marching band won first place honors in the Class B division at the Rocky Ford Festival on Oct. 18.
1977: City Council finally approved a water tap for the new Pizza Hut north of the city and it may open about Nov. 1.
1983: Twenty to 25 homes in Spanish Peaks Addition II at Rio Cucharas Country Club Estates are without water since the developer’s well went dry.
1989: The new owners of Rio Cucharas Inn have paid $7,100 and traded the two inch raw water tap for a two inch treated water tap with the City of Walsenburg. The inn has been closed for about two years.
1995: The first all mail election in Huerfano County Nov. 7 will include School Districts Re-1 and 2, the City of Walsenburg, Cuchara Sanitation and Water District and the State of Colorado.
1882: The ladies of the Methodist Church will give a grand dinner and supper at their church on Thanksgiving Day. Any profits will offset the costs of weatherboarding Rev. Freeman’s office.
1889: M.F. Hills has been appointed postmaster of La Veta to replace F.A. “Berry” Moore, who resigned.
1895: J.M. Jones, our able station agent, must have more work that he can easily attend to with the number of cars that crowd the tracks and sheep trains coming in at all hours of the day and night.
1901: Complaints are still being made about the trash and refuse being deposited in the town alleys.
1907: The railroad conceded to the demands of the employees of the roundhouse and their pay was raised to $1.80 per day.
1913: Charles Powell is taking care of Cuchara Camps while Mr. Mayes is visiting in La Veta.
1919: A warehouse and extension to the rear of the store building is being built by Ghiardi and Company on Ryus Avenue.
1925: Some 30,000 sheep passed through here Saturday after being on summer pasture at the J.W. Vernon place. They were en route to Manzanola.
1931: Street and Utt are opening a skating rink with a new oak floor, new skates and good music. It is in the recreation center in the Eggleston building.
1937: The Engberg family has moved into the Lauth rooming house on Main Street.
1943: Mrs. Robert Weir returned home from Pueblo the first of the week with her new baby daughter.
1949: For Sale: Slab wood, 60 cents per 100. Free delivery of orders of 1,000 or more pounds. Call Ben Nason.
1955: The Redskins trimmed San Luis 61-14 to win the Spanish Peaks Conference, Eastern Division, so will face Center, the Western Division winner, for the conference championship.
1961: The ninth grade float, “Hillbilly Heaven”, won first place in the homecoming parade, with the seventh grade taking second and the sophomores, third.
1969: The Redskins trounced the usually high scoring Cheraw 66-20 to win their homecoming game here Friday afternoon.
1975: With the opening of deer season Saturday, District Ranger Don Musso reminds visitors to the San Isabel National Forest to be extremely careful of the high fire danger in the mountains.
1981: Work crews at Panadero Ski Resort celebrated Friday afternoon after the completion of the 70-unit chairlift and its approval by state inspectors.
1988: With the move of Gianni’s to the former Ski What building, there is not a single vacant building in the 200 block of Main Street.
1994: Town Board instructed Building Inspector Dwight Arnold to accept no more applications for the construction of straw bale houses.