1903: The barn on the McNutt ranch south of town, rented currently by Thomas Martin, was burned to the ground after the Martin kids set the hay on fire while playing with matches. One horse was killed and 40 bushels of grain were destroyed.
1909: Mr. Andrews, the hot tamale vendor, is working up a good business, especially with the trainmen on the night passenger run who look forward to their midnight lunch.
1915: The latest school census shows there are 2,344 boys and 2,190 girls, or a total of 4,534 school age children, in Huerfano County where the total enrollment now stands at 3,465. Last year the county paid out $105,459.54 for the maintenance of schools, for an average of $3.23 per pupil per month.
1921: October 6th and the roses are still blooming, and the colorings on the mountains have never been duplicated by an artist’s brush.
1928: Henry Garren, a former resident of La Veta, has opened a candy shop at the corner of Sixth Street and Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, California.
1936: The La Veta Redskins held strong against the Aguilar Wildcats football team for a final nothing to nothing score.
1942: Died, Mary Matilda Springer, 89. She was born in Indiana in 1853 and came to La Veta with her husband James 56 years ago. The couple built what is now known as the Park Hotel on Ryus Avenue and she operated it for 33 years.
1949: The Berean Fellowship class of the Baptist Church enjoyed a wiener roast at Cuchara Camps Tuesday evening and watched the eclipse of the moon.
1956: Residents of Cuchara Camps and the surrounding area enjoyed a potluck supper in the Chuck Wagon, which is closed for the season, and later danced to popular songs played on the piano.
1962: The Joe Violas will have an auction at their ranch five miles east of La Veta on Valley Road on Monday, Oct. 15, to sell cattle, dairy equipment, horses and farm machinery before the couple retires and moves into town.
1968: Patsy Magnino, who has been studying broadcasting and announcing in New York City, has obtained a job there.
1976: La Veta’s United Methodist Church celebrated its centennial last Sunday with two congregants who attended the 1927 dedication of the present church, Laura Roush and Ewell Woodring.
1982: Town Board heard and approved a request by Brett Arnold to ask permission of the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad to improve the land north of the tracks for a baseball field.
1904: Don’t forget the new Photography Gallery located just across Main Street from the new court house.
1910: Final results of the base ball season are Pictou, first, with a record of 16-3; Rouse, 14-7; Columbines, 13-9; Ravenwood, 5-7; Walsen, 4-5 and Walsenburg 3-2. Teams not finishing the season were La Veta, Midway, Maitland and McGuire.
1917: It is expected that Colorado Fuel and Iron Company will soon grant recognition of the United Mine Workers of America.
1922: There now are 90 freshmen enrolled in the senior high school, a 60 percent increase over this time last year.
1929: About 8,000 cattle will be gathered by the Cuerno Verde association in this season’s round-up in the Gardner area.
1934: Eleven-tear-old Connie Willburn was bitten by a rattlesnake at the St. Mary’s school three miles above Turner when she went to the woodpile to get a log.
1939: It’s going to be a “hot time in the old town” Saturday night when the Walsenburg Elks open the doors to the public of their new home on East 6th for dedication of a new, expensive bar and dance to the tuneful melodies of Eddie Carson and his all-colored swing band.
1945: Mr. and Mrs. Mike Vigil of the Leila Beauty and Shoe Mart have purchased the building formerly occupied by the Queen City Café, where they will open an apparel shop known as the Fashion Mart.
1951: The Sportsmen’s Club called Martin Lake “an alkaline mud hole” and wants to have it drained for cleaning.
1957: There will be a simple ceremony of blessing for the dedication of the new St. Mary Cemetery northeast of the city.
1963: Of the $23,907 spent on the school lunch program in the Re-1 schools in Walsenburg last year, $15,888 went for food for the average of 375 lunches served daily.
1970: City Council approved a budget of $364,905 for the coming year for the utilities department.
1976: One of the most popular spots in the new John Mall High School is the spacious library with carrels for private study and comfortable furniture, under the direction of Librarian Dorothy Ree.
1983: After more than 40 years doing business as the Gamble Store dealers in Walsenburg, Wayne and Leslye Van Schoyck have decided to retire.
1990: Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO) was pumping about 300 million cubic feet of CO2 daily at the Sheep Mountain facility but production now is down to about 200 million.