1903: For Sale: A saloon and 18 acres at Sunshine, Colo., between Victor-American and Colorado Fuel and Iron properties.
1909: A merry party of high school boys and girls went for a moonlight ride but the wagon broke down and they had to walk the three and a half miles home.
1918: For Sale: one 1,680 pound horse, gentle, no bad habits, $200.
1924: The proposed new highway to Alamosa will probably run down 7th Street through the south end of Walsen Camp and join the present highway south of the hill near the Mutual Mine.
1931: Charles Mazzone, a resident of Walsenburg since 1874, died Tuesday at the age of 79 years, eight months and one day, after breaking his hip May 12.
1936: The Colorado Highway Department will spend $55,000 in Huerfano County in 1936, including $5,000 on Highway 69 between Gardner and Westcliffe and $10,000 on Highway 10 east of Walsenburg.
1942: Huerfano County officials and members of city council will begin work this week to establish a playground and recreational facilities at Martin Lake.
1947: The garage building at 327 N. Main is being remodeled for a soft drink bottling plant.
1953: Miss Eva Evans will retire Friday after teaching 47 years in Walsenburg’s grade schools. She moved here when just three years old and was a 1904 graduate of Huerfano County High School. She first taught at Beeville School at $37.50 per month and in 1906 began working in District No. 4, Walsenburg. She was principal of Washington School from 1913-1936 when the school was torn down and then she became principal of Hill School until her retirement.
1961: A total of 84 seniors will graduate from Walsenburg high schools this week, which includes 58 from Walsenburg High School and 26 from St. Mary High School.
1966: Ruth DeVan was crowned queen of the Junior-Senior Prom Saturday night. Her attendants were Rose Piazza and Marlene Pierotti.
1973: Debbie Powers, Robbie MacDonald, Craig Wright, Alan Tomsic and Larry Kramer of Walsenburg High School will spend three weeks in Europe giving concerts.
1979: Mary Ann Boyer won a week’s trip for two to Hawaii in the contest sponsored by J&L Electric and Komac Paints.
1986: Walsenburg High School’s Frank Anderson became the school’s first individual to win first place in a state track meet when he heaved the shot put 53 feet and three inches.
1992: No other than former senator and presidential candidate George McGovern was a visitor to the Huerfano World office this week on his way to revisit the Ludlow Monument, first visited when he was writing his book The Great Coalfield War.
1901: A.W. Scott made one of the first discoveries of copper here and owns the Copper King, while William Kimsey has a good claim south of Ojo on Middle Creek, Louis Bemen has the same on Oak Creek and R.A. Mathew and Coleman brothers are working their lode on Raspberry Mountain.
1907: The Baker School District has voted to come into the La Veta Union High School, making five districts doing so. Only the Ritter District stands alone.
1913: David Firm’s new stone residence in the north part of town will be one of the most substantial in La Veta.
1919: The Coleman brothers are building a stone residence for John Smalley in north La Veta.
1925: Damages totaling $1,020,000 are being asked by the Canon-Reliance Fuel Company as plaintiff from the Oakdale Coal Company for infringement and careless operations which caused the collapse of the underground workings of the former mine.
1932: A slot machine was stolen from the Vienna Café Monday night by two men who ordered food, and as their sandwiches were being brought out, they were seen going out the front door with the slot machine,
1938: The May 6th snowfall was the heaviest of this season with 20 inches falling. The season total of 137 inches is the greatest amount to be received in a number of years.
1943: Joe Robino is back after being employed to help construct an army detention camp at Trinidad which will house about 4,000 prisoners when completed.
1950: The La Veta Chamber of Commerce has $400 to find a plan to get artificial rain induced by vapor of silver iodide to be generated at certain points of the greatest benefit.
1956: Graveling has been started by Las Animas County to improve Highway 111 between Monument Lake and Cuchara Camps.
1965: The name North Veta Pass has been officially given to the new crossing of Highway 160 over the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. The highway department had planned to call it Sangre de Cristo Pass.
1972: The Womens Society of Christian Service is now called the United Methodist Women or UMW.
1980: Five La Vetans were selected as Republican state delegates to the convention in Denver. They are Lyman Brigham, Jacque Goemmer, Janice Haught, Gary Kreutzer and Sara Murphy.
1987: Shirley Jameson will open Sew Country with crafts and gifts in Circle the Wagons RV Park, 126 W. Second Street.
1994: Members of the Friends of the Arts Guild will assist Science Teacher Emery Ashby create dioramas for the school’s natural history museum.