1898: About 60 G.U.E.S.S. members and their guests gathered at the home of Mrs. Dr. McGuire to hear the sweet strains of the Sporleder orchestra.
1904: Items from the wood carving project at Pictou will be sent by the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company’s Sociological Department to the World’s Fair in St. Louis.
1910: The Columbine baseball team went up to La Veta and defeated the locals 12-11.
1914: The county commissioners now have the county divided into 45 voting precincts, with 10 of them in Walsenburg.
1920: Leighton Kirkpatrick is remodeling his store building next door to the bottling works for a new home for Mike Reviglio’s Studebaker sales and service.
1927: Four soft drink parlors, two on Main Street and two on West 7th, were closed by the authorities for violations of their licenses.
1932: Walsen camp is undergoing constant dismantlement. Robinson tipple #2 was torn down earlier and #1 and the coal washer have now been sold and are being removed. A great number of the houses are for sale.
1938: Frederick Caddell, Betty Lee Saunders, Charles Finley, John Green and Jean Marie Caddell of Huerfano County High School are today at the University of Colorado in Boulder to compete in debate and speech contests.
1945: The new board of directors for the Walsenburg Rotary Club is made up of S.M. Andrews, James Brady, the Very Reverend Howard L. Delaney, R.R. Gowdy, W.R. Gore, Philip Miles and F.B. Umphress.
1952: Sam Herlyck will have the grand opening of the Farmers Locker, Grocery and Market at its new location at 327 Main Street, the former site of the M&N Bottling Works.
1959: St. Mary Crusaders won 14-9 over the Antonito Trojans in their first baseball game of the season with homeruns by Phil Vigil and Billy Vigil.
1965: New! Cornish Game Hens, 69¢ for 1¼ pounds; Edwards Coffee, $1.33 for a 2 lb. can; Mushrooms, $1.00 for 10 two-ounce cans. Safeway Store.
1973: Moisture in the form of rain, snow and sleet was welcomed by Huerfano Countians this past week following one of the worst dust storms since the ‘30s covered everything with silt and dirt.
1980: Carl Labadie, a 12-year resident, has been hired as new deputy in the sheriff’s department and his wife Sunny will be the new Huerfano County Chamber of Commerce secretary to man the office at the corner of 5th and Main streets.
1986: St. Mary Parish offered its old school football field on West 9th Street to the City of Walsenburg. Worth approximately $25,000 to $30,000, it contains about 15 city lots or three acres and includes 50 lights, a water well and concrete based bleachers.
1993: Huerfano County Chamber of Commerce will honor Vinzie Scarafiotti, Sherma Jerant, Unfug Hardware, Sporleder Feeds and St. Mary Credit Union for being in business for 50 years or more in the Community Center April 24 with Silver Eagle playing for the dance after dinner.
1900: A.A. Foote sys it is rather early for keg beer, cheese, crackers and a pinion tree. What is really needed right now is chilli, Worchestershire sauce, hot tamales, triple extract of horseradish and cayenne pepper with a hot stove alongside [sic].
1906: The board of registration reports there are 224 people registered to vote in the coming town election.
1912: Still it snows, but the sun shines too; still it blows, but the spring is just new.
1918: V.G. Mills of the La Veta flour mill is shipping wheat to the Walnut Milling Company in Great Bend, Kans.
1924: The Oakdale mine is operating on a new plan which, if it proves satisfactory to the employers and employees, may keep the mine in operation; otherwise a shut-down is contemplated.
1930: Roy Williams of Canon City last week leased the blacksmith shop of Charlie Boyd but left Saturday so his brother-in-law Ed Sheffield will run the shop in addition to his shoe business.
1936: J.L. Brownell of Hugoton, Kans., has bought the Roy Moore ranch south of town on the Wahatoya.
1942: Bruno Cassai was guest of honor at a farewell party last week before leaving for induction into the Army.
1948: Fourth graders on the past six week’s honor roll are Donald Drury, Loren Hector, Jerry Masinton, Margaret Downs, Marilyn Lammers and Judith Marker.
1954: A drinking fountain and tap have been installed near Mount Mestas utilizing a 200 foot pipeline for the convenience of travelers along Highway 160.
1960: Died, T.F. Haase in California. He was a barber in La Veta for many years and built the house on Main Street now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Tony Masinton.
1966: Cheerleaders DeEtta Brgoch, Linda Nauerth, Judy Bauer and Christine Aguirre won the cheering trophy for the second year in a row at Adams State College in Alamosa.
1972: Elery, Mayo, 36, accidentally shot himself in the leg near the knee at his home four miles east of La Veta.
1978: D’s Drive-In has been sold by Tom and Dee Lessar, who owned it four years, to Betty Bowdino and Wayne and Gloria Jean Kreutzer and they will call it B&K Drive-In after it opens on April 29.
1984: Town Board agreed to waive water and sewer fees for the Friends of the Arts Guild’s Gallery because the building and land belong to the town.
1990: Mayor Jo Cross resigned her position, citing stress, and Mayor Pro Tem Doug Brgoch was elected mayor by the Board.