1881: There are two more divorce suits that will be heard before the next term of court. 1893: Hamilton Pope just completed a 21 mile long irrigation ditch for his 3,000 acres in the north part of the county. Mr. Pope has been here for 20 years and has served on the school board for 18. 1899: An old skeleton was found by a sheepherder on Turkey Creek with the head severed from the body and buried sitting with the neck nearly touching the knees. It is possibly the remains of Manuel Montoya who disappeared 10 or 15 years ago in that vicinity. 1905: A new crosswalk has been laid from the post office to Gordon and Firm’s saloon, but this doesn’t mean that the postmaster will ask you to “have something” every time you go for the mail. 1911: Friends of J.B. Farr and his son Jeff Junior received postcards from Niagara Falls from them. 1917: A sneak thief broke a rear window of the Victor Mazzone building on Main Street and entered the side of Louis Gilaudo’s jewelry store where he stole numerous valuable watches. 1923: The city council signed a $99,350 contract for the paving on 19 more blocks, which when done, will give the city 40 blocks of paved streets. 1929: During January and February, 15,284 [railroad] cars of coal left Huerfano County, an increase of 1,649 carloads over last year. 1935: Thieves broke into the
Huerfano Trading Company store at Gordon camp last night. 1941: The employment office has jobs open for an assistant store manager, a barber, soda fountain men, bookkeeper and a male typist. 1947: Harry J. Capps, president of the Spanish Peaks Fiesta Association, says Bud Davis, Paul Krier, Felo Martinez, Joe Benedetti, Frank J. Repola, Mrs. Sam T. Taylor and John Weston were elected vice presidents and permanent heads of committees for the annual event. 1953: About 60 fifth and sixth graders of Washington School toured the Walsenburg Creamery today and received ice cream for treats. 1959: Laurel Davis and Barbara Zalesny will represent Hill School in the county spelling bee. 1965: Joseph Alessi Jr., St. Mary High School junior, will go to St. Louis, MO, to display his science exhibit which won first in the Trinidad State Junior College Science Fair. 1971: The February Heart Fund drive in Huerfano County brought in $564.04 according to county chairman Mrs. Rosemarie Biggi. 1977: Members of the John Mall High School Explorers’ Club will hike into Bryce Canyon along the Escalante River in Utah. 1983: Former Huerfano Judy Bricking and her six year old son Chris were found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in the garage of their home near Colorado Springs in a case being considered a homicide and suicide. 1989: For Sale: 315 Kansas Avenue, 4 bedroom, 1 ¾ bath, detached 2-car garage, $46,000. Reata Realty.
1877: La Vetans are lucky in having two agents who are the most courteous of men, thoroughly business like and well versed. I allude to Agents Simpson of the D&RG railroad, and Ford, of Barlow, Sanderson & Co.’s Express and Stage Company. 1883: The $60 needed to purchase the four acres of land for cemetery purposes was subscribed by J.L. Patterson, $20; A.J. Dodgins, $5; J.C. Dotson, $15; William Kimsey, $5; Homer Barnard, $5; S.L. Strange and F.L. Martin, $5 each. 1890: The town treasurer reported that “cyemetra Sailes” continue to benefit the town coffers [that’s cemetery sales]. 1896: J.M. Jones at the depot handled 5,894 cars between Jan. 1, 1895 and Feb. 5, 1896. And yet some people think La Veta a place of no importance on the railroad. 1902: A.H. Edmisten rented his ranch property and livery stable in town to a Mr. Halloway for the period he intends to spend in North Carolina on a visit to relatives and old friends not seen for 30 years. 1910: Frank Hamilton purchased the old residence at Town Lake and will move it to his lots on east Francisco Street [where it still stands]. 1916: George A. Edmonston has moved his stock of dry goods into the south half of his store building with the groceries, and George Benefiel will move his furniture stock and undertaking business into the north half. 1922: Game Warden Poteet has been assigned in this section to stop the slaughter of wild game. 1928: Alex Kobskey, the recluse of Silver Mountain, has been in town the past few days to, as he expressed, “leap around”, as it is leap year. 1934: Thirteen inches of ice has been reported on the lake at the Powell ranch on the upper Cucharas though there is none near La Veta. 1940: Gasoline, 16¢ for White, 17¢ for Leaded Green and 18¢ for Amber. Young Brothers, opposite the Methodist Church. 1946: The Colorado Cheese Company is building a cement warehouse, garage and boiler room, 150 by 52 feet in size with a nine foot basement, just west of their current factory. 1952: The La Veta P-TA will present a minstrel show March 13-14 with a special appearance by Mammy and the Gold Dust Twins, Maude Nason, Constance Ghiardi and Coach Robinson. 1958: An estimated 200 or more visitors were on hand Sunday for a preview showing of the new four room Pioneer Museum in Colonel Francisco’s Plaza. 1964: Irene Duzenack and John Britton will represent the La Veta fourth grade in the county spelling bee. 1970: Spanish Peaks Garden Club won a Keep Colorado Beautiful award in Denver last week, one of just four small communities so honored. 1976: The Rainbow Girls collected $313.48 in their door to door campaign for benefit of the Heart Fund. 1982: A prominent San Antonio, TX, businessman, B.J. “Red” McCombs, has been named new partner in Panadero Ski Corporation. 1988: Michelle Foster, Landei Lessar and Jackson Whitney won their age divisions at the invitational junior ski meet at Conquistador ski area near Westcliffe.