1893: The 4th of July pony race at Rouse was won by Jimmie Farr, Dave Mazzone and Arba Johnson, followed by a barbeque with three beeves donated by the Farr brothers and Johnson.
1899: The sheep of the county have nearly all been shorn of their locks and the yield is estimated at more than 300,000 pounds.
1905: The 4th of July patriotic decorating contests in Walsenburg were won by Baxter and Kearns Hardware and Trading Company for their elaborate window dressing and to M. Bernstein’s residence in the home decorating contest, with Canuto
Baldonado’s on SouthMain taking honorable mention.
1911: The boys of Toltec, ages 12-15 years, have formed a base ball club and would like a game with boys of the same age.
1917: John P. White, president of the United Mine Workers of America, will speak tomorrow at the Miners’ Day ceremonies in Walsen camp.
1924: Prohibition officers confiscated 400 gallons of wine found during a raid on a home on west Seventh Street.
1930: More than 200 golf enthusiasts attended the grand opening of the new links on Capitol Hill, when Dot Chase, Marcetta O’Byrne, Margaret Yeagley and Electa Lamme made up the first foursome.
1936: Huerfano County’s criminal docket for district court is the heaviest since 1933 with robbery cases, stabbings, killings and livestock larceny.
1943: In keeping with Mayor G.R. Mallett’s proclamation for businesses to cease activities on July 5, the World-Independent will not be published that day.
1950: City Council voted to put some teeth into the water restrictions and will hire two men to see that no water is used for irrigation during unscheduled hours.
1957: More than 500 persons went swimming yesterday in Walsenburg’s new pool, and City Council has decided to run a concession stand there for the summer.
1963: Randee Mauro won the Huck Finn Day fishing contest at Lathrop State Park last weekend by catching one that measured eighteen and a half inches long.
1970: A total of 3,500 trout were placed in the Huck Finn Pond at Lathrop State Park in preparation for the 4th of July fishing contest for children between the ages of six and 14.
1976: Re-1 School Board Principals Sam Conaway, Larry Crosson and William Duran all received salary increases to $17,640 annually and Superintendent Robert Hall’s salary was raised from $19,000 to $21,000.
1982: City Council adopted an ordinance to impose fines and/or public service to minors under 18 who violate the 11 p.m. curfew.
1989: The county commissioners protested to the state over an application for a mining lease near Gardner because the process utilizes cyanide which would impact the water supply of the community.
1995: Precipitation in Walsenburg so far this year stands at 12.85 inches, compared to 8.18 inches in all of 1994. The June high was 100 and the low was 50 degrees.
1881: R.A. Hayes and J.G. Hamilton, owners of the Ball mine in West Gulch, the first lead opened on the West Peak, took a shift of men up to extend the tunnel another 15 feet beyond their first 35 feet.
1897: It was all right to observe the 4th of July but we think it was hardly proper to fire off a cannon on a Sunday.
1903: O.D. Staplin has a gang of nice looking young fellows helping him repair the road north of the ranch into town.
1910: Former residents H.B. Sager and William McLain came up from Wootten for the 4th. H.B. is managing the livestock interests on the Wootten Estate ranch and Mr. McLain is managing the company store.
1916: The forest service has warned of the extreme fire hazard in this dry weather after an excursionist dropped a match from the train last Sunday and started a small fire which was quickly extinguished.
1924: The Columbine Band of Pansy Beamer, Jodie Huesties, Fred Dryden, Dick Davis and Joe Sanders entertained at Alamo camp Tuesday evening with some real jazz music.
1930: Our little town wastes about 50 percent of its water supply at this time of the year.
1937: Art Mallory and His Melody Kings will play for a modern dance tonight at the Sulphur Springs.
1945: Trinidad Electric Company’s application to the Rural Electrification administration for a rural line in the La Veta and Cuchara Camps area was approved. The company intends to run 53½ miles of line in the $64,741 project. None of the line will be within La Veta town limits.
1951: The La Veta Ramblers will play for a western dance July 7 in Kincaid Hall.
1958: Lavella and Peggy Schultz of Oklahoma, nieces of the Charles Ottingers, arrived to work at Lightning S Ranch on Indian Creek for the rest of the summer.
1965: The Rev. Mrs. Benton, who preceded Rev. R.A. Anderson at the Methodist Church, substituted for him in the pulpit last Sunday.
1972: Forty-one diners ate Monday noon at the Senior Citizens’ dinner in Odd Fellows dining room. Prices will be raised to 75 cents at the next meeting.
1979: Pearl Kitchen received a letter of congratulations from President Jimmy Carter for her 90th birthday July 2.
1985: The annual rodeo parade last Saturday was great. Taking first place for its float was the Spanish Peaks Garden Club with Hayla Eddleman as the Statue of Liberty.
1991: Progress at the future Echo Canon Guest Ranch includes the laying of water and sewer pipes and the construction of an equestrian center.