1889: D. Brown and several others secured a lease for the top of Capitol Hill and are busy fixing up a race track and will put up a grandstand.
1900: The new stone wall around the court house when finished will be a thing of beauty. The wall will be capped with dressed stone, embellished with 12 massive cut-stone pillars at the gate ways, the whole surmounted by an iron railing. Now that the lot is fenced in it might be a good plan to put a decent court house within the wall.
1907: Fred Klein will tear down the frame Caviness building and build a modern place there for his ice cream parlor. It is next door to the new Charles Agnes building.
1913: Mr. Wayt drove his car to La Veta Sunday and had the misfortune of striking a buggy. The occupants were thrown out but luckily no serious injury resulted.
1919: Fall fashions and millinery coming soon to August Unfug’s apparel shop, 116 W. 5th Street.
1927: Unidentified burglars entered the M.M. Najar shoe repair shop and escaped with about $100 worth of leather and 12 pairs of shoes.
1934: The Katz Department Store team defeated the ZNP 5-3 in the softball game played on burros.
1940: More than 40 boys, ranging from knee pants size to young manhood, participated in a military drill exhibition of the young guardsmen under the direction of Major Ralph Levy.
1946: Monroe L. Fox, a product of Gardner and Huerfano County High School, has written Blind Adventures, the story about his experiences since being blinded at Iwo Jima.
1952: Joe’s Farm Supply, 902 W. 7th Street, suffered a heavy loss when a fire burned the warehouse roof, causing $11,000 in damages of which $8,000 was to machinery and parts.
1959: Mr. and Mrs. Jim Willburn recently sold their ranch on Turkey Creek to Mr. and Mrs. Tony Pando and purchased the home of T.M. Hudson in Gardner.
1965: Dr. Fred Alan Menghini has purchased the dental practice of Dr. C.A. Brunelli at 134 W. 7th Street.
1972: Frank Montera, band director at Walsenburg High School the past 11 years, has resigned.
1979: Tomatoes, three pounds $1.00; Jumbo Roll Bounty Towels, 65¢; Russet Potatoes, 10 pound bag, 97¢. Safeway Store.
1985: The new sandstone retaining wall at the Huerfano County courthouse was completed this week and the pillars will be placed at the east and south entrances to the building.
1991: Chipita Accessories, Inc., of Walsenburg has filed an injunction against Sears, Roebuck and Company to stop the sale of jewelry under the Chipita name that is appearing in the Sears’ fall catalog.
1901: Of a party of 36, only 11 people made it to the summit of the West Spanish Peak last Friday and left their names in the little tin canister there.
1907: Edwin L. Smith purchased three lots north of Powell’s Photo Gallery on Main Street, two of which belonged to George Hansen who turned around and bought two lots on Field next to the Dryden house where he will erect a 24 by 28 building for his residence and candy factory.
1913: The thermometer registered 100 degrees in the shade on the north side of a house last Tuesday at noon. Getting up some.
1919: The national highway, called the Spanish Trail or Mesa Verde Highway, will go over La Veta Pass from Pueblo, to Mesa Verde and thence through the Navajo reservation into Arizona, taking in the Grand Canyon, and end in California.
1925: Snow fell at the foot of the Spanish Peaks last week.
1931: A wind storm lasting just three minutes Saturday blew down the entire east side fence of the baseball park and many tree limbs around town.
1939: Forest Ranger Ralph Bryant warns people to use caution with fire as the forest is extremely dry.
1944: La Veta Union High School paid out $2,025 the past year for instructors and $642.20 for the janitor’s salary.
1951: The Huerfano County school census of pupils between six and 21 years was 3,280 for the 1950-51 school year, compared to 3,716 for 1949-50.
1957: A great deal of repair will need to be done to the buildings at the old plaza if a museum is to be opened there.
1963: Mr. and Mrs. John Albright were hosts for about 50 members and guests of PEO for a picnic at their place in Hidden Valley.
1969: The second annual Cuchara Trail Ride will be Sunday, sponsored by the Cuchara Stables, and they will ride between the Spanish Peaks. Last year 32 people of all ages took part.
1975: Walter and Molly Bailey of Mountainview, California have moved into the old Drury place on the Cucharas River just outside La Veta on the south.
1981: Friends of the Arts Guild will sponsor Karl Carlson in an outdoor watercolor workshop Saturday at the cabin of Cleo Morehead in Wahatoya canon.
1987: The high school cheerleaders, namely Michelle Foster, Lacene Roberts, Shannon Mayfield and Nella Bridges, attended a three day camp with their sponsor Peggy Arnold.
1993: Jim Hoobler is the new town trustee to fill the vacancy caused by Carl Rasmussen’s move from town limits.