Walsenburg 1891: Another 50 new homes are to be built at the Rouse mining camp where the water tank on the hill is now full and ready to serve a larger population. 1897: That the people of Walsenburg like to read is shown through the popularity of the Young Ladies Reading Circle, the Saturday and Cadmus literary circles and the fact that residents purchased $2,000 worth of books last year. 1902: The ladies of the town have undertaken the task of inaugurating a public town library. 1908: The Honorable Henry Blickhahn, present county judge and clerk of the district court, this week was admitted to the Colorado bar association. 1914: All public gatherings are prohibited until further notice because of the scarlet fever epidemic that is killing children in Walsenburg and Gardner. 1920: The Rouse coal mine had to close down because of the large amount of water coming in, the same problem encountered in the old Rouse workings. 1926: The La Mosa cigar factory has moved to larger quarters at 205 West Sixth Street. 1932: The four Boy Scout troops of Walsenburg are celebrating the 22nd anniversary of the national organization. 1938: The Sporleder Selling Company, currently employing 30 persons, carries between 5,000 and 6,000 different food items to distribute to 500 to 600 large and small businesses in the southern part of the state. 1944: Tonight’s Gala Bond Premiere will feature two complete showings at the Fox Theater of “Destination Tokyo” starring John Garfield, Cary Grant and Alan Hale, 7:15 and 10 p.m. 1950: J&L Electric on the west side of Main Street has been completely remodeled and redecorated throughout according to the Feiccabrino brothers. 1956: County Clerk Conrad Cordova reminds residents that all license plates expire at midnight Feb. 15. 1962: A loud noise sounding like dynamite was heard by people all over the city and the police seem as puzzled as anyone, offering no explanation. 1968: Dorothy Richman, R.N., has been named Nurse of the Year by the Huajatolla Nurses District in Huerfano and Las Animas counties. 1974: John Shosky, 18, of Walsenburg High School, won first place in Pueblo’s district Voice of Democracy contest sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars and then won fifth in the state competition. 1980: Died, George S. Niebuhr, former Walsenburg postmaster, Democratic party chairman
and county surveyor, in Trinidad State Nursing home. He came to Huerfano County in 1908, working as a barber, but after taking up 880 acres east of Walsenburg, went into sheep raising. 1986: The application for a six inch water tap and line to Rio Cucharas Inn was rejected by City Council because it cannot sell raw water. As a result, Cuckleburr’s Restaurant and Rio Cucharas Health Spa closed Wednesday due to a lack of water. 1992: The Walsenburg Merchants Association will honor three longtime businesses at a dinner and dance April 25. They are Model Cleaners, J&L Electric and Lenzini Motor Company, all of which have been in business for more than 50 years.
La Veta 1881: At a meeting of the miners, the Ojo Mining District was formed to include all that territory from where North Abeyta Creek enters the county, south to Oak Creek and up that creek back to the North Abeyta and north of the point of commencement. 1887: Town Board approved a bill for $3.10 from the La Veta Times for printing the notice for April’s election. 1893: Our public school closed last Friday after a four month term. Lack of funds is the sole cause for the brevity. Mrs. Alice Daigre had more than 50 students in the advanced department and Miss Maggie McGinnis of the primary room had more than 70 scholars. 1899: Dave Farr’s saloon, the Graders Headquarters on Ryus Avenue, dispensing wines, liquors and cigars, has become a popular resort with the railroad grading crews coming in to begin the new standard gauge route west of town. 1905: John A. Myers, teacher at the Sager School just west of town, is boarding with the Jones Kincaid family who gave him a surprise party for his birthday. 1911: The windstorm Wednesday damaged the school house so seriously that classes have been dismissed until a thorough inspection can be made. The term will be shortened by one month and rooms have been rented around town for use as classrooms for the new few months. 1917: The Doctors S.J. and J.M. Lamme have added in their office the latest testing machines for eyes, and can fit you for glasses. 1922: Mr. and Mrs. Al Coleman tore down the old schoolhouse of the 1880s on Main Street and will build a modern five room house. 1928: Since the advent of the cheese factory, another farm turned to raising dairy stock when the Carson Estate purchased 10 head of Jerseys and Holsteins from the Messrs. Parsons and Coe. 1934: Joe Persich has taken charge of the Quality Shoe Shop. 1940: The junior class made about $60.00 on their play, “Aunt Tillie Goes to Town” and all proceeds will go toward the upcoming Junior Senior Prom. 1946: Red Skin Pow Wow: Rock Rest seems to be the main center of attraction lately. It’s really a super place to dance. 1952: There is some interest being aroused about stocking the town lakes and opening the area as a public recreation area. 1958: The Explorer, the first space satellite to be successfully launched by the United States, was expected to make a complete orbit of the earth every 113 minutes. It weighs 30 pounds. 1964: Miss Winnie Woodring and John Bailey were married Sunday, Feb. 3 in the United Church in Walsenburg. 1970: County Clerk Conrad Cordova says he and his staff have issued 1,194 license plates since they went on sale. 1976: Eugene Cheek opened Sunshine Enterprises just south of town to provide varied distilling units and distilled water. 1982: A wild game dinner at the Covered Wagon will benefit the Cuchara Valley EMTs and will include mountain lion, bobcat, deer, bear, elk, pheasant and beaver.