1881: The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad has built an addition to their depot here, as well as a large water tank, fine section house and outbuilding, and are now constructing a round house. 1894: These sand storms are not agreeable to face, not at all, nor is it pleasant to have the dust sifting into the house at every crack. 1900: When a man sows a crop of wild oats he invariably does the harvesting himself. 1906: A gas explosion occurred in what is known as the old Sunshine mine but is now worked by Victor Fuel Company from the Maitland entry. Nine men are known dead and several more are missing. 1911: The Keough stock company has been playing in the Mazzone Opera House this week and the public has appreciated the quality of the plays. Next week will be the Wright Comedy Company with a matinee of “Edith’s Burglars” Saturday afternoon. 1917: Mary R. Trujillo is now manager of the El Bello Hogar Hotel, formerly the Southern Hotel, on Main Street near Eighth, and serves meals at all hours. 1923: Estell Alldrid is teaching the scholars of the Cucharas School and Ida Alldrid has the school at Badito. 1929: Frank Heckman, 59, was sentenced to 18 years in the state pen for the murder of Felix Santistevan. 1935: Died, Birmingham “Birm” Klein, 51, the proprietor of the Klein Hotel. He was born in 1884 in Birmingham near Gardner and came to Walsenburg in 1889. His father Henry was a stone mason who worked on the county courthouse. 1941: S.W. Jellison, manager of Fawks Drug, was named Most Valuable Member by the Walsenburg Lions Club. 1947: A civic service award for outstanding community service was given to Emma Bellotti, Huerfano County Treasurer, by the members of the Eagles Club. 1952: A Gala Leap Year “Sweetheart Show” with Joan Davis in ‘Harem Girls”, and a Blackout Intermission (For You Shy Guys and Gals) will be given at 11:45 p.m. Feb. 29 in the Fox Theater. 1958: Glen Mathews has sold his City Pharmacy at 528 Main to Joe Bush of Alamosa. Glen went into business in 1908 and his store is in its fourth location in Walsenburg. 1964: Inducted into the National Honor Society at Walsenburg High School were Sharon Biggi, Janice Faris, Annette Kravic, Kathy Mall, Shirley Martinez, Tina Stinson, Norbert Valdez and Fred Cordova. 1970: Adrienna Martinez won first and Brenda Corsentino and Danny Abila tied for second in the Dental Week poster contest sponsored by the local dentists. 1976: Linda and Jim West of Vallecito, New Mexico, have purchased 65 acres on upper Turkey Creek from Dr. Ron Ferendelli and will build a home there. 1982: Colorado Coal Company will start a test strip mine in March near the site of the old Morning Glory mine, five miles northwest of Walsenburg on Highway 69. 1988: Approximately 250 students and parents attended a “50s Dance” last weekend in Walsenburg Middle School, planned by the student council. Named King and Queen were David Marquez and Tina Pedraza. 1994: The Duckwall/Alco Company of Kansas has announced it will open a store at 600 Main Street in Walsenburg, the former Ben Franklin, and remodel it. Grand opening is expected in late April.
1882: David D. Ryus shipped 175,788 feet of lumber for the use by the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad, amounting to $3,000, all from the Hendricks saw mill. 1888: Town Board received a petition from the citizens to build a sidewalk on the north side of Francisco Street. 1895: Mrs. Daigre has resigned as town trustee just a few weeks after Mrs. Slone, so Miss Sallie Strange, town clerk, remains as the only female on the board. 1901: Stone is being hauled to the Clipper Saloon on Ryus Avenue for the walling up of the cellar and putting the building on a solid foundation for the first time since it was built in 1876. 1907: A gang of 75 railroad construction workers are rebuilding the bridge just east of Francisco Switch that burned down last week. Traffic is suspended until the work is completed. 1913: Mrs. Ell Smith has purchased the old M.T. Hills house in McComb Addition for a real bargain – $350. 1919: La Veta Light, Heat and Power Company has changed its rates to 12½ cents meter rate, $1.00 minimum per month per kilowatt, and offer a ten percent discount for prompt payment. 1925: The Bon Ton Syncopated Orchestra has been organized by George Summers, director, and other players are Jodie Huesties, David Firm, Harold Kincaid and Mrs. George Summers. 1931: The Major and Minor Music Club has been reorganized with Dorothy Danks, president, Marion Garren, vice president, Duska Nolan, secretary and Carol Young, treasurer. 1937: O.L. Bradford has resigned as supervisor of the Works Progress Administration project at the high school to take charge of the road work north of town. He has been replaced by Dick Baker. 1943: Forrest Fouch is moving the relief mattress factory from Walsenburg back to the back room of Tom’s Fix-It Shop in the Stergh Mavrodis building on the east side of Main Street. 1950: The Independent and Citizens parties of La Veta agreed to the same candidates so Paul Gilbert will remain mayor, Karl Gilbert, clerk and treasurer, and Ralph Garren, Proctor Hayes, Clark Falk, Ben Nason, Julian Tracy and Frank Perry will continue to serve as trustees. 1956: The Redskins concluded their Southern Peaks Class C basketball schedule by swamping Saguache 70-55, led by Don Drury with 18 points and Felix Cruz with 16. 1965: The storm on Washington’s Birthday left five inches of snow. 1971: The 30th Annual Meeting of the Upper Huerfano Soil Conservation District was held last week when Harry Willis was re-elected to the Board of Supervisors. 1977: New residents in La Veta are Sara, Tom, JoEllen and Andy Murphy who moved here from Rocky Ford to join Sara’s husband who has been working for Webster Insurance. 1983: Lyman Brigham was elected chairman of the Huerfano County Republican Central Committee, Chris Pazen, vice president, and Sara Jo Murphy, secretary and treasurer.