1901: A telephone line is to be constructed at once between this place and Walsenburg.
1907: The post office established at the new coal mine is to go by the name of Oakview and Mr. Hartsuck will be the postmaster.
1913: Charles Spielmann died in California. A native of Bavaria, he moved from Chicago to La Veta in 1877 and purchased an interest in the grist mill, later selling it and living on a ranch adjacent to town.
1919: Some buffalo meat from the Trinchera Estate was on sale at the meat market Wednesday and was quickly disposed of.
1924: Wanda Powell, Helen Mayes and Ruth Elley are among the rural school teachers spending the holidays at home.
1931: Work in the Ojo mine has intersected with an old vein where coal damp and gas are causing miners trouble for the first time.
1937: The quarantine caused by the scarlet fever epidemic will end on New Year’s Eve.
1942: Mike Judiscak wrote home he had recovered from malaria and is back on duty with the Marines in the Solomon Islands.
1948: “No, Edward, my wife does not select my suits . . . she only picks the pockets.”
1953: Five Big Days at the Spur Theater – “From Here to Eternity” with Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Deborah Kerr, Frank Sinatra and Donna Reed.
1959: Those home from college for the holidays with their families include Jerry and Dick Masinton, Claire Carver, Kay Wagner and Virginia Galvan.
1964: Barbara Willis will be installed Worthy Advisor of La Veta Assembly No. 75, Order of Rainbow for Girls.
1970: Edward E. Engberg Sr., 81, of Trinidad, died. He moved to La Veta in 1938 and took over editing the La Veta Advertiser until it ceased in 1957.
1977: Come by and pick up your free yardstick at La Veta Lumber and Supply Co., 117 E. Ryus.
1982: The Christmas Eve storm brought three to four feet of snow at Panadero Ski Resort and on Christmas Day more than 600 skiers enjoyed the powder.
1989: Gerald Arnold, general manager, says four parties are potential buyers for the $29 million Cuchara Valley Ski Resort, for which Sunbelt Savings of San Antonio is asking $2.4 million.
1900: The old Primrose coal mine near Rouse is being cleaned up and may reopen under a new owner. It was worked 12 or 15 years ago but has been idle since then.
1909: Rose Lillis, the teacher at Hezron camp, married John Beauchat, the son of Charles Beauchat who opened Pryor mine.
1916: Born Dec. 26, a daughter named Amelia to Fred C. and Carolyn Sporleder.
1923: The Star Pool Hall at 7th and Main streets was robbed of games and cash.
1928: Died, Joe Garcia, former barber at the M&O Pool Hall, in the Recreation Rooming House. He was shot by Mike Aragon who had been shot by Mrs. Garcia.
1933: James E. Tressler of the Walsenburg Land and Development Company, announced a test oil well will be drilled on the land of Lizzie Finlay 16 miles northeast of Walsenburg, just east of the Cucharas Dam, by a company from Colorado Springs.
1939: The Huerfano County machine shops are being moved from 128 W. 5th Street to the county fairgrounds where Works Progress crews are building 10 garages.
1946: The turkey processing plant in Walsenburg opened Dec. 27 and will process 12,000 birds before closing.
1952: Tomorrow is the grand opening of the Valencia Café at 109 W. Seventh, formerly Mi Casita Café, under the management of Mr. and Mrs. Bert A. Matteo. They will specialize in Spanish and American foods.
1958: Between 600 and 700 kiddies visited Santa Claus at the Christmas party at the Huerfano County courthouse.
1965: The Slovene Federated Lodges will give a New Year’s Eve dance in the Walsenburg Pavilion with music provided by George Zanotelli’s orchestra of Denver.
1971: Walsenburg City Council purchased a new 1972 Ford fire truck costing $28,500.
1976: New Year’s Eve at the Rambler Restaurant and Lounge will include an all you can eat and drink special and music by Leon Sloan and the Sloan Boys. $18/couple.
1983: Huerfano Memorial Hospital celebrated its 20th birthday with a holiday party for its 200 employees and volunteers.
1988: Linda and Anthony Medina provided 130 Christmas dinners for the elderly and shut-ins from their Silver Dollar Inn on Seventh Street.