Contact Us

This Week in History: April 21, 2016


1883: Young Fred Walsen, of the firm of Unfug Brothers, is sojourning in Raton, New Mexico, for recreation from his arduous labors in the store.

1889: Messrs. Campbell and Moore, our wide awake furniture men and undertakers, got an elegant new hearse.

1895: Messrs. Cowing, Lidle and the Dick Brothers have all purchased new delivery wagons.

1901: The roads are now open and freighting has resumed to the mines on the Sierra Blanca.

1907: The new town council appointed C.L. Hendershot, attorney, Shorty Martinez, marshal, Matt Wellsby, street commissioner, C.V. Mazzone, clerk and Dr. P.P. Lester, health officer.

1913: The boys at Shumway have organized a baseball team with C.W. Moore, manager, and H.R. Trembath, captain.

1920: Four seniors made up the graduating class at the Rouse high school.

1928: R.F. Poli, former superintendent of the Gordon mine, and Leon Poli have returned from an extended trip to California where they were trying to find new homes and employment.

1934: About 40 football and basketball players of St. Mary High School were the guests of Father J.B. Liciotti Wednesday evening in the St. Mary dining room.

1940: John Steinbeck’s controversial “Grapes of Wrath” starring Henry Fonda, Jean Darwell and John Carradine, starts Sunday at the Fox Valencia Theater.

1946: The Charles E. Butterworth barber shop will move from West Seventh Street to the rooms where the county war rationing office was located on West Sixth.

1952: St. Mary High School will have its senior prom Tuesday April 29 with music by George Kelloff and his orchestra.

1958: The new Dallafior’s restaurant with connecting lounge will open April 24 at 503 West Seventh. They will have the first charbroiled steaks for Walsenburg. Walter Wheelock of Pritchard Lumber Company designed the modern redwood and brick front.

1964: New officers of Walsenburg Woman’s Club are Mrs. Don Giro, president, Mrs. John Benedetti, vice president, Mrs. Abel Gomez, recording secretary, Mrs. John O’Rourke, corresponding secretary and Mrs. William Schafer Jr., treasurer.

1970: Anthony F. Velarde has announced he will seek his sixth term as Huerfano County Sheriff.

1976: Dr. Leonce Evans, who has been practicing medicine at the Gardner Clinic since July 1975, will assume the duties and practice of Dr. James M. Lamme Jr. in Walsenburg through June 1.

1982: Brett Corsentino placed sixth in the nation in the NAIA wrestling championship recently in Portland, Oregon.

1988: Rio Cucharas Inn was closed down two weeks ago when the management failed to pay utility and phone bills, putting 19 employees out of work. The mortgage holder will put new management in place and it will open for the tourist season.

1994: City Council has approved an extraterritorial water tap for a new bed and breakfast inn to be built immediately west of the railroad overpass on the northwest side of Highway 160 west of town.

La Veta

1878: A group of citizens led by Henry McHolland presented town board with a petition to reorganize the town according to state law. The board laid over a decision and McHolland then withdrew his petition.

1883: Gregory and Lane will occupy the old post office building with their Washington Meat Market as soon as William Krier moves his shop into his new building.

1892: Town Board took up the matter of the Lewis house at the corner of Ryus and Birch streets that they ordered to be moved back off town property last September but was not, at their last meeting.

1898: The Methodists held a conundrum social at the parsonage last night which was well attended and enjoyed by all.

1904: Louis Bemen has entered into a contract which will employ him at the World’s Fair for about six months and intends to take in the show from beginning to end.

1910: Ell Smith has gone back to work for the railroad and is now handling Engine No. 802 which does the switching and mine work.

1916: Snow, rain, cold, heat, thunder, lightning and frost – we get a sample of them all about every 24 hours.

1923: The new Walsenburg reservoir east of La Veta is about done.

1928: Sylvia Arch, 31, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Mathews, died of scarlet fever. She leaves her husband, a little daughter and baby son, parents and brother. The little girl will live with Mrs. Mathews and the baby with Grandma Arch.

1935: A dust blanket Wednesday turned to rain and snow, leaving a foot of the “beautiful” to cover the dirt.

1941: Town Board planted 26 10-foot tall trees along the main drive in the La Veta Cemetery and paid $70.00 for a good cleanup of the grounds.

1947: Tuesday Night Study Club met at the home of Stella Harrison with Mildred Jones presiding. Dorothy Arnold was welcomed as a new member.

1953: Highway 111 from Highway 160 to Cuchara Camps will get a fresh layer of gravel this month in preparation for tourist season.

1959: About $172.00 was raised at the box supper at La Veta High School to benefit the new county historical museum.

1965: The senior class has returned from its trip through Cortez and Mesa Verde to the Grand Canyon and Phoenix, returning by way of Albuquerque.

1971: Mr. and Mrs. Joe Robino entertained 51 relatives and friends for Easter dinner and a family reunion.

1977: The Spoon River Players’ production of “Rosemary Runs Riot” was a huge success and well attended both evenings.

1983: On Sunday, April 17, Panadero Ski Resort hosted its 22,000th skier of the season, a Pueblo man who enjoyed the free skiing, rentals and lunch.

1989: Residents have been “star watching” at Grandote Golf and Country Club lately, or at least trying to catch sight of the stars of the movie “Flashback” that is being filmed in La Veta and vicinity.

1995: Tony Masinton’s 100th birthday was celebrated with friends and all three of his children – Charlie, Sam and Mary Urkilik – with a feast in the school cafeteria with more than 100 well wishers in attendance.

Bertha Trujillo

  Bertha Trujillo, 97, from Gardner, Colo., entered her eternal home on Feb. 12, 2024. She was born in Gardner, Colo., on Sept. 30, 1926,

Read More »