WALSENBURG- On June 26, 2009, Spanish Peaks Library District will move from the current building, built in 1952, to the newly renovated 1920 Huerfano County High School building at 415 Walsen Ave, Walsenburg. The Grand Opening event will span two days, from 11 to 5 pm on Fri. June 26 and from 10 to 3 pm on Sat. June 27.
All events are free and open to the public.
The complete schedules for each day are as follows:
Friday June 26
Children and Family Day
• 11 am: Announcements, door prize tickets.
• 11:30 am: Keynote address by State Librarian Gene Hainer
• 12 noon: Ribbon Cutting
• 12 to 1:30 pm: Lunch on the lawn – bring a blanket!
• 12:45 pm: Live music begins with Oress DeHererra & the Sons of the Conquistadores
• 1 pm: Story Hour with Salida author Susan J. Tweit (Colorado Book Award finalist; Children′s Book Council,
Outstanding Science Trade Book)
• 1:45 pm: Book signing. Copies of Susan’s new memoir, "Walking Nature Home: A Life′s Journey" be available for $20.
• 1:45 pm: Story Hour continues with children’s art activities:
• Museum of Friends and the Pre-K – 3 group with found-object sculpture
• Chipita and the 4-8 group with a beadworking activity.
• Handweavers′ Guild of Pueblo and teens, textile tech.
• 2:45 pm: Live music continues with the Tumbleweeds (Mollie Fuller, Sharon Ulrich, and Filbert DeHererra).
Carnival activities continuing throughout the afternoon.
• 4:30 pm: Door prize drawings.
Saturday June 27
Community & Amnesty Day
• 10 am: Library opens. Coffee and pastries all morning. Library service surveys and door prize tickets.
• 10:30 am: History of coal mining in Huerfano County presented by Walsenburg native and retired National Park Service interpretive ranger, Jon Sudar.
• 11 am: Live music by Planet O Band
• 12 pm: dance performances by members of Grupo Folklorico del Pueblo.
• 12:45 pm: Announcing the Big Read, a yearlong community reading project beginning in September. Find out what this year′s Big Read book will be, learn about the exciting events that will be part of the program, pre-register, and enter to win free copies of the book.
• 1:30 pm: dance performances by El Fandango.
• 3 pm: Door prize drawings.
Throughout the day, check in with library staff to update your library card information or get a library card, and learn about our new programs and services. Amnesty Week begins on Saturday and continues through Fri. July 3, so dig up those lost or overdue books and bring them and we will waive your fines.
Please call 738-2774 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.