Publications

Contact Us

La Veta history for January 28, 2010

La Veta

1881: Wages in the new Ojo [copper] mining district have been set at $4 per day for surface work with pick and shovel; for hard rock such as requires powder and drills, $7 per day.

1896: It would be a good idea if the school board would provide a locker for the children’s lunch buckets as much is being purloined.

1906: John Boyd reports ore is running as high as $35 in gold at one of his mining claims at the head of the Cucharas.

1916: J.G. Hamilton is obtaining the signatures of all those who lived here prior to 1876 for the proposed Huerfano County Pioneers Association and a surprising number of names are being registered.

1925: Good Fresh Milk delivered every morning; absolutely clean and sanitary.  Z.V. Moore, Phone 13W.

1934: Although the ice is not as thick as usual at this time of year, skating has been a popular diversion.

1943: John Elley, local taxidermist, has a nice collection of mounted animal heads on display at the Village Blacksmith and Machine Shop.

1951: And on the other hand, perhaps it is a blessing that we do not get as much government as we pay for.

1960: The high school’s L Club will sponsor a Western Dance Feb. 6 in the school gymnasium with music by the Flying W Wranglers.

1966: Cuchara Ski Course located on the Jameson ranch, owned by Dick Jameson and  his partner Tom Watson who assembled the equipment, now has a 1,040 foot tow and 338 foot rise in altitude.

1972: According to the latest Census of Agriculture, Huerfano County has 214 farms, compared to 241 in 1964, with an average size of 3,307 acres each.

1978: A county equalization grant of more than $3,000 will be spent by La Veta Public Library to add to the Colorado collection and large print section.

1982: Four years ago, Friends of the Arts Guild opened a gallery on Main Street in rented quarters, and now their own building, built without state or federal funds, is nearing completion beside town park.