1901: Now that all of the old railroad tracks have been removed from La Veta Pass, would it not be a good idea for the county commissioners to make a good wagon road over the old grade?
1908: The forest fire on Middle Creek is still raging and W.P. Robinson’s ranch buildings were entirely destroyed, along with about $2,500 worth of standing timber.
1915: Clarence and Clyde Estes have purchased what is known as the old Phillips ranch from their father. Clarence will take the upper half and build a new house; Clyde takes the lower half and the old house.
1922: The Memorial Day ceremonies postponed by wet and inclement weather will take place Sunday, with separate exercises to be held by the Oddfellows, Woodmen of the World and G.A.R.
1930: F.W. Jaques, who did a lot of prospecting around Ojo around the turn of the century, visited from Pueblo this week.
1936: In the recent “improvements” of the road to Cuchara Camps, all dangerous curves between the corner by the town’s storage lake to Three Bridges have been removed and it has become a speed way.
1942: Guess we had better discontinue discussion of the errors we make in the paper each week. We make ‘em so fast and so often we can’t keep up with explanations.
1948: The Silver Dollar Café opens today at Ryus and Main under the management of Eldon Griswold, featuring steaks, chops, sandwiches and barbecued meats.
1954: C.E. Wilson and Fred Crouse have a new partner in the City Slicker mine south of Ojo Springs, State Sen. Sam T. Taylor.
1961: Jack Britton and Tom Watson have built a little early-day-saloon-like building, the Red Dog, next to the Cuchara Store to sell curios, souvenirs and sports equipment.
1968: School Board President John Geiser announced the appointment of Dora Quintana to fill the unexpired term of Thomas Kmetz who resigned after serving in the position since May of 1949.
1975: Every day is Flag Day in La Veta with more than 25 of them flying on Main Street business houses.
1982: The Art Guild’s “Starving Artists” sale earned about $500 Saturday toward completion of the Gallery in Town Park.
1905: Charles Martin and F.I. Barron have installed bath tubs and stationery stands in their respective barber shops.
1912: The families of J.B. Dick, Henry Gordon and J.E. Hurley, accompanied by Earl Levy, drove their autos the three hours to Malachite for a picnic Sunday, leaving from this town at the break of day.
1918: Corporal Howard Dickerson of Walsen camp was the first soldier from Huerfano County to die on French soil.
1923: If you don’t believe Walsenburg is getting out of the ruts and into the city class, just take a look at our new street sprinkler.
1928: Nearly $40,000 will be expended on the huge new addition to Bain’s Golden Eagle store on west Seventh Street, according to Joe Bain, owner and manager.
1934: Free tickets to the film “Viva Villa”, to be shown at the Valencia Theater, will be given away by Max Gonzales at a dance in Maccabee Hall tomorrow evening with music by the Galindro Brothers of Pueblo.
1941: Winners of the beard growing contest held in conjunction with the Black Diamond Jubilee were John Weston, Leroy Espinosa, George Thurston, Clarence Bramall, Ralph Ramirez, W.W. Hoss and Ben Martinez.
1947: One man was killed and three others injured by a man with a knife in the Chico Hill Tavern just south of the city.
1953: Nine new citizens, naturalized during the past year, will be honored on Flag Day, June 14, in ceremonies in the stadium of the Huerfano County High School.
1959: About 600 people are expected in Walsenburg this week for the 39th annual convention of the Colorado Veterans of Foreign Wars which will feature two parades and a memorial service.
1965: The Huerfano County Neighborhood Youth Job Corps will pay young people $40 a week for 32 hours of work.
1972: Walsenburg’s newest business, City Auto Parts, 309 W. 7th Street, will be opened Friday by Gerald Jerant and Frank Sarti.
1978: Nearly 40 students of School District Re-1 and a number of adult sponsors spent a week in Hermosilla, Mexico in a cultural exchange program.
1984: The first phase of a million dollar development project of Navajo Ranch Estates will begin this weekend.