Contact Us

House fire leaves the Colorado Kid out in the cold

WALSENBURG- A fire left a Walsenburg man homeless on Saturday afternoon. Eddie Ortivez, a.k.a. the Colorado Kid, was able to flee the house, located on the corner of Harrison and Elder, but lost all his possessions.
The cause was a chimney fire that spread to the attic. The wind spread the fire throughout the entire attic space which then spread down into the living space of the house. Because of the severe fire damage to the roof structure, the roof began caving in so firefighters couldn’t do a very aggressive interior attack. Firefighters mostly did a defensive attack until the roof collapsed and they could then safely enter the house.
There were three engines and a command support pickup on scene with a total of nine firefighters, all from the HCFD. No mutual aid was requested. Firefighters were on scene approximately five hours.
Ortivez is now staying with his nephew, Lloyd Ortivez. Eddie will need clothing, small men’s sizes and pants size 32×32. Donations may be left with Lloyd at 630 W 4th, or call him at 252-2921.

Dread Persephone

Part of the What Do You Kow About That series by Ruth Orr GREECE — As is so often the case with this column, anything

Read More »


OUR WORLD — For the third straight year, the World Journal has been named the best newspaper in its class in the 2023 Colorado Press

Read More »