by Eric Mullens
WALSENBURG — La Plaza Inn owner Karen Wilson is the newest member of the Huerfano County Hospital District’s Board of Directors following the county-wide vote Tuesday.
Wilson, Dr. Paul Coe and Bill Hix were candidates for the two open four-year terms on the board. Wilson received 109 votes, Hix 140 votes and Dr. Coe 88 votes. Coe and Hix were both incumbent candidates seeking reelection.
In the election for the single two-year seat on the board of directors incumbent Dr. David Zehring was reelected with 92 votes. Sandy Dolak received 83 votes and Sierra Fourwinds 18 votes.
The voting took place at three locations Tuesday, May 8; the Spanish Peaks Regional Health Center, the La Veta Community Center and the Gardner Community Center.
The election totals are official. The hospital district’s canvas board met at 10 am Wednesday May 9 to certify the results, although it had up to 17 days to certify the election results. The results are now being forwarded to the special district’s attorney, who in turn sends the results to the Colorado Secretary of State and the division of local government.
The results will also be sent to the Huerfano County Clerk’s office to be kept on file there.
Unofficial election totals for 4-year term
• Bill Hix: La Veta 41; Walsenburg 83; Gardner 12; Mail-in 4. Total 140
• Karen Wilson: La Veta 43; Walsenburg 55; Gardner 8; Main-in 3. Total 109
• Dr. Paul Coe: La Veta 33; Walsenburg 43; Gardner 11; Mail-in 1. Total 88
Unofficial election totals for 2-year term
• Dr. David Zehring: La Veta 32; Walsenburg 51; Gardner 9; Mail-in 0. Total 92.
• Sandy Dolak: La Veta 36; Walsenburg 40; Gardner 4; Mail-in 3. Total 83.
• Sierra Fourwinds: La Veta 3; Walsenburg 11; Gardner 3; Mail-in 1. Total 18.